Let’s face it. The thought of someone roaming through your house while you’re away is daunting. Luckily there are a few great ways to prevent them from stealing your most precious belongings. One of which is to invest in a high-quality home safe.
There are numerous factors you should research before making your final decision. For example, if you are looking for a safe for your guns and weapons, you may need to abide by strict state laws. It’s also important to plan where you will place your safe to ensure you buy the right size to fit.
Here are some of the most important things to consider when deciding which safe is right for you:
New Vs Second-Hand Safes
One of the first options you’re likely to encounter when considering which home safe is right for you is whether to buy a new or second-hand safe. While you might think the security of a second-hand safe may be compromised, this is not the case if you purchase one through a professional company.
Both new and second-hand safes have their own list of benefits:
Benefits of a New Safe
- Have the latest safety features
- New safes usually come with a warranty
- Mint condition, no damage to the interior or exterior
Benefits of a Second-Hand Safe
- Usually much cheaper than a new safe
- Value does not depreciate as rapidly
- Tried and tested by the previous owner to make sure it performs well
What Are You Protecting?
Before deciding on the right safe it’s important to consider what you will be protecting and are likely to be protecting in the future. This will determine which size safe you need and which features it will need to possess. If you are looking for gun safes, there are also state laws that you will need to consider before making a purchase.
· Size of The Safe
Work out what you will be protecting and how much space it will require. If your safe is likely to be used for items such as jewellery, it may be worth purchasing a small, heavy-duty safe that can be well hidden.
If your planning to protect precious paper forms such as birth certificates or private documents, it may be worth investing in a fireproof safe. This is even more important if you live in bushfire prone areas. Fireproof safes offer you better protection from fire, meaning your precious documents are less likely to be burnt and destroyed.
· Weapon Safe
If you are looking to house firearms, you will need to refer to local laws about gun safe requirements. For example, here is Western Australian storage requirements for firearms. Incorrect storage of firearms can result in penalties of $10,000 or 2 years imprisonment, so it’s vitally important you understand the laws in your state.
Not only is the quality and strength of your safe important, so is where you place it. Be creative and think like a burglar. The longer it takes you to think of a spot, the harder it will be for them to find it. Try to find safes that can be securely bolted to walls or floors to add extra security.
Some suitable places to conceal your safe include:
- Behind furniture such as couches or bookcases
- Heavily bolted into your locked garage space
- Behind wall-mounted televisions
- Floor safes under rugs or beds
- Behind painting or artwork
Before you make your final decision, make sure to consider:
- Look for locksmiths that offer a warranty
- Make it a unique code. Don’t use the same lock code as your phone or credit card pin.
- Keep the safe code to yourself. Never write it down or tell anyone.
- Have your safe checked and maintained by a professional